This week we’re going to focus on the investor summary. This is an all-in marketing piece that outlines the core business plan, explains the underwriting assumptions, along with sharing photos and the overall strategy of the investment. This is an essential document and a key element that you need to understand and have a solid grasp of when investing with an operator.
So join me and The Investor Mindset community as we dive deep into this subject to get a true understanding of what the investor summary is and how you can use it to your advantage.
- Understand what your investment goals actually are and then look at the investment opportunity and analyze how it aligns with those goals.
- An equity model typically returns 50% to 75% to the investor. The return percentage is tied to the profit that is expected from the deal. With this model you can benefit greatly but there’s also risk of losing capital.
- A preferred return model means that you get paid out before anyone else. For example: a 6% preferred return would mean that you receive the first 6% return and management take the remaining percentage.
- There’s also a hybrid model where you have a prefered return on the front end and another that’s paid out on equity gain. This is a more conservative approach or for investors who want to take a high risk but still have some level of security.
- Another strategy is called the performance hardle. AKA “waterfalls” are when a certain level of return is being provided to investors, at that point in the return structure changes. So if you have 6% preferred return, then no one else will see returns until you have that 6% in full.
- Look at how the sponsors are compensated when it comes to fees. Management will receive fees to “keep the lights on” and manage the property and this is normal… but if they are high… ask why.
The Passive Investing Playbook – https://theinvestormindset.com/passive
Learn more about investing with Steven at https://theinvestormindset.com/invest
Learn from the smartest minds in business & investing.
About The Show
What separates those who succeed from failures? Join thousands of listeners who learn the mindset of real estate investing and how to create multiple income streams. From busy professionals interested in passive investing or the real estate entrepreneurs who are primed to scale all come together to learn the mindset of creating financial and time freedom.
The Investor Mindset is a mix of interviews, and solo shows from Steven you’re not going to want to miss. Hit subscribe, and get ready to change your life.
The Investor Mindset Podcast & President VonFinch Capital
Steven Pesavento has always been obsessed with understanding how we can think better, how we can be better and how we can do better. He is an active real estate investor who curates Commercial Real Estate Investments for clients.
The Top 5 Lessons Learned From High Performing Real Estate Investors
I’ve interviewed almost 100 guests on The Investor Mindset Podcast. They all give their best advice. But what’s THE best advice, and what does it mean for us?