Think that being a venture capitalist means you came from money? Arlan Hamilton’s story of ambition and perseverance from homelessness to founding a venture capital firm whose main focus are the underrepresented.
- Look where nobody else is looking (there is huge value in the “forgotten” or underrepresented)
- Get in the field and start doing the work, don’t just sit on the sidelines
- Stay the course
- Mentorship doesn’t have to be in-person, find it through books, podcasts, and other digital resources
- It’s About Damn Time – Arlan Hamilton (https://amzn.to/3fTVxuQ)
- Venture Deals – Brad Feld (https://amzn.to/2yQHSnV)
- The Memo – Minda Harts (https://amzn.to/2yZt7z3)
- Writes “headlines” for herself
- Reads and researches her markets
- Disconnects at 6pm / stops working to maintain balance
Arlan Hamilton built a venture capital fund from the ground up, while homeless. She is the Founder and Managing Partner of Backstage Capital, a fund that is dedicated to minimizing funding disparities in tech by investing. Started from scratch in 2015, Backstage has now raised more than $10 million and invested in more than 130 startup companies led by underestimated founders.
In words of Mark Cuban – “Arlan’s story speaks to all the would-be entrepreneurs and dreamers out there. “Those of us who are different can rule the business world and no one can stop us.”
Arlan’s purpose is impact. That’s it. She is truly devoted to the helping the underserved achieve the “impossible” and changing the world for the better.
Learn from the smartest minds in business & investing.
About The Show
What separates those who succeed from failures? Join thousands of listeners who learn the mindset of real estate investing and how to create multiple income streams. From busy professionals interested in passive investing or the real estate entrepreneurs who are primed to scale all come together to learn the mindset of creating financial and time freedom.
The Investor Mindset is a mix of interviews, and solo shows from Steven you’re not going to want to miss. Hit subscribe, and get ready to change your life.
The Investor Mindset Podcast & President VonFinch Capital
Steven Pesavento has always been obsessed with understanding how we can think better, how we can be better and how we can do better. He is an active real estate investor who curates Commercial Real Estate Investments for clients.
The Top 5 Lessons Learned From High Performing Real Estate Investors
I’ve interviewed almost 100 guests on The Investor Mindset Podcast. They all give their best advice. But what’s THE best advice, and what does it mean for us?